Tuk to the Road

The trials and tukulations of Jo, Ants and Ting Tong the tuk tuk and our three-wheeled odyssey from Bangkok to Brighton...in aid of the mental health charity Mind. For more information please see www.tuktotheroad.com

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Vladivostok or Bust

Bristol, UK

In a few weeks a whole year will have gone by since Jo and I drove into Brighton and finished the greatest adventure of our lives. And boy have I got a bad case of itchy feet again. I seem to have an inability to stay in the same place for more than about 6 months, which is how long I have been in Bristol, and every night I lie awake thinking of the next big adventure. What can it be? Where can I go? How can I get paid for going to some far-flung corner of the planet?

Jo and I long ago came to the conclusion that extremely long journeys in odd modes of transport was really quite fun, so my nightime musings generally focus on these two points: an obscure destination plus an odd vehicle. My current favourite is Vladivostok in a Robin reliant. You can get them for as little as £50 on ebay and if I set off early next summer I reckon it would take about three months. it might sound like a bit of a daft idea but I think it would be a laugh and I am going to ponder the matter some more.

As for tuk to the book - all is looking rather exciting at the moment. Our publishers www.thefridayproject.co.uk tell us that advance sales have been really good. We were in The Times travel section last w/e as pick of the week, and are Cosmopolitan magazine's 'Book of the month' this issue (page 222) which I am sure will give our sales a boost. Launch party details are still being finalised but it's looking like the London event is going to be on 5 September at the Truman Brewery, and the Norfolk event at The Big Blue Sky in Wells-next-the-sea on 1 Sept. Details to follow...

Now back to Richard & Judy. What a classic experience. Jo managed to flash her very sexy sports bra at Richard, we met Adam Hart-Davis and Helena Frith-Powell, talked about botox and boob jobs in the hair and make-up....and filched a bottle of bubbly...which we drank in one swift gulp when Jo came to visit me in Brizzle last week. The best bit however, is that we got some donations after the show. Keep 'em coming in guys, we've STILL got another £10,000 to go.

I'm disappointed that google maps seems confused by my Bristol to Vladivostok query. Anyone know how many miles it might be?

XX Ants

3 Comments:

Blogger Subaru360sd said...

Hi Ants!
Congrats for your Tuk tuk trip. It is amazing what you did.
If you thinking of driving a Reliant Robin go for it!
I will drive my Subaru 360 (half of the engine of the RR) from Tokyo to Budapest and perhaps Bremenhaven to ship it back. Planning to leave Vlad around the 10th of August 2008.
If interested, check my blog.
http://subaru360.blogspot.com/
Also, last year Lang and Bev Kidby drove their Fiat Bambino around the world.
Good luck to you for your dream!
Imre

5:08 AM  
Blogger Chris and Maggie said...

Have a good trip watch out for the roads with three wheels. I don't think that you need to be told that though.
Last year we took a £200 Renault from Brighton to the Ukraine Russia border in 10 days, about 2500 miles.
We threw it away and used a train and tandem to get us on to Kathmandu. Pick up our story on myspace.com/magsandchris
Have a good one
We may try to repeat the trip but with a car all the way to central Asia, any advice?

9:18 AM  
Blogger Home Gift Garden said...

HGG is offering unique Wooden BBQ Shelter that is an ideal product to protect you from all weather conditions. This shelter includes wide shelves to provide you with an extra space for your BBQ party. Moreover, our Wooden Planters And Troughs are elegant and stylish to give your garden an impressive look.
Wooden BBQ Shelters
Wooden Planters and Troughs

3:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home