Tuk to the Road

The trials and tukulations of Jo, Ants and Ting Tong the tuk tuk and our three-wheeled odyssey from Bangkok to Brighton...in aid of the mental health charity Mind. For more information please see www.tuktotheroad.com

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Relieved, tired and missing my furry friends

Luang Prabang, North Laos

We made it, I am so relieved. As Mr Ant said we had no idea what to expect and to be honest Route 13 was not this big monster that I had created in my head from all of the stories. The roads were mountainous and bendy, but they were also a lot wider than I thought. At all times there was easily enough room for 2 vehicles to safely pass. The precipitous drops I had imagined were few and far between. There was no rain and the road was fully tarmacced over 98% of the time. We were not jumped by the Hmong Rebels, although we saw about three different men with rifles. The pot holes were navigable, although I probably looked rather funny driving- perched right on the edge of my sight to gain maximum visibilty and see the potholes before we ended up planting TT's front wheel in one. The gear of the day was third and what a great gear it is. Our brakes are not too sharp, but by using 3rd gear most of the journey, there were few times where we actually needed to use the breaks. TT performed like a true superstar and her engine never got too hot- rising over 25% only a couple of times. Towards the end of the journey her backside started to make a noise (not Ants', but TT's)- we thought it might be the rear suspension, but after pulling over and getting down on the ground we have concluded that she probably has a small hole in her exhaust, which we will get checked out fully tomorrow. It possibly happened when I sent her shooting up the drive to our guesthouse this morning.

Oh yes, I miss my ferrets and last night had a really good cry into my comfort blanket (sad that I still have one at 27). I am sure that this will not be the first time that I cry because I miss them , but I hope that I don't get upset too regularly.

Feeling tired and we're going to bed soon- not feeling particularly animated this evening, although it has been an amazing day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Stan-Rhode Island said...

Soon you will be in China. Remember the old Chineese saying:"a picture is worth a thousand words." Hint Hint.

4:53 PM  
Blogger tuktotheroad said...

OK OK more pics coming! You're as bad as my father Dan, he cited an old Japanese saying in an effort to make us post more pics!

8:26 PM  
Blogger tuktotheroad said...

Sorry I meant Stan, my tying is terrible....!

8:26 PM  
Blogger tuktotheroad said...

Thanks Henry and Heid! Yes your act did indeed spur us on!

More 5 Live on Tues at 4.15 a.m.

Heading for Udomxai in the morning...

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home