Tuk to the Road

The trials and tukulations of Jo, Ants and Ting Tong the tuk tuk and our three-wheeled odyssey from Bangkok to Brighton...in aid of the mental health charity Mind. For more information please see www.tuktotheroad.com

Thursday, July 13, 2006

A quickie from Almaty

Almaty, Kazakhstan.

Jo's gone off to collect Ting Tong's insurance and left me to start writing an article for the Mail on Sunday, so I thought I'd do a very quick blog to stop Stan getting worried!

We've been in Almaty for almsot 3 days now and its been crazy. Almaty is SO expensive, statistically more so than Washington DC and Boston and with more Porsche Cayenne's per capita than anywhere else in the world. Jo and I are both finding it very odd being in the western world again and being bereft of chopsticks and Jack (not in that order) and are looking forward to hitting the road again.

We'll write more tomorrow as its been a very funny few days. I got attacked by a Bride of Frankenstein dentist with facial hair and inch thick kohl, we've been hanging out with the Kazakhstan Feminist League (long story), I found a huge maggot in my salad at a 'snazzy' restaurant, we've drunk fermented mare's and camel's milk and today we had a press conference at www.satr.kz organised by the British Embassy with a scary amount of TV crews and newspapers. In a minute we've got to dash off and sort out our skypecast which we hope some of you will come to. As its our first one we hope we don't cut everyone off and mute each other by accident.

More soon and love from us both xx

4 Comments:

Blogger Stan-Rhode Island said...

Hope you schedule another skypecast. Your connection was VERY Choppy. Could hardly understand what you were saying most of the time.

But in spite of that, it was good to hear from you, and hope that the next time there will be a better connection.

Keep "tuking"

6:34 AM  
Blogger tuktotheroad said...

I know Stan, was really unfortunate and we will do another one soon. Thank you for coming. Jo and I are dying to meet you!

2:13 AM  
Blogger Stan-Rhode Island said...

you have to promise me something.....when this trip is over, you write a book about your adventures......with photo's. I'll buy the first copy when it's available.

I always think that you two are "nuts" to do make this trip, no matter what the reason may be.

But then a part of me sort of wishes I was there too. But at age 72, my "adventure" days are in the past.

Now I simply let two lovely YOUNG ladies have all the fun.

Keep going, see it all, on what most likly will be the adventure of your life time. Something you can tell your grandchildren about somne day.

But most important, be safe.

Hope to be able to talk to to you one of these days. About the only part of yesterdays attempted chat thgat came in clear. . . . the giggles !

Stan

4:51 AM  
Blogger tuktotheroad said...

Thanks for messages everyone. Sorry for lack of blogs, just been having a mad busy admin week in Almaty and hitting the road north to Balkash tomorrow morning. Two things re Almaty - the people are astonishingly friendly and lovely and the prices are absurd. xx us

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home